понеділок, 2 лютого 2015 р.

On move!

Dear Victoria,
I’m writing this letter to tell you about my new life in America. There are a lot of changes since I’ve visited you.
To start with, I was afraid of immigration, because it was known about animosity towards economic migrants and prejudice against their culture. Besides, I was worried about health inspection, especially when I heard about walk at Ellis Island where doctors examine you and decide can you or not enter the country. Fortunately, it was OK. To be honest, after health and legal inspection I was vibrant and ready for something new and thrilling. Actually, almost everything what had happened to my family has made a change.
Lowest East Side is the place where we’ve settled, namely we live in tenement apartment building which has five floors and contains eighteen families as average. Our apartment has three rooms such us kitchen, bedroom and a big room. Speaking about facilities, there is cold water and gas lightening, but there wasn’t any stove, so it was the first thing we’ve bought. I remember you were telling about burekas with meat that your mum cooks and now our families taste them too. Try to add some cheese-it’s delicious!

 My father got down to earning some money and today we have a small store. It brings not a large income, but the steady one. I also do my bit as an assistant here. Frankly speaking, it’s difficult to get accustomed to combining a job and studying, so it happens that I burn the midnight oil and cram in order to pass my exams and don’t fall behind with knowledge.
Needless to say, that the first few months were like a huge cultural shock, although there is our big ethnic minority and we still undergo its support. On the other hand, I recognized the need for integration and therefore I usually go to the Nicklodeon with my families, where we enjoy listening to American music and watch movies with Charlie Chaplin. We get much out of such evenings as they help us to get away from all duties and get the hang of American culture as well.
All in all, everything sorts itself out, although sometimes I feel nostalgia for my native country and friends. I hope my new life in America will be interesting and stunning in any case. What about you? I hope to read good news from you soon. Say hello to your family!
Love,

Molly Kiraly

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар